Friday, October 15, 2010

For the record.....

I am not supermom.........

Far, far from it actually. I love my kids dearly, but they drive me nuts sometimes.......I lose my patience, over-react, yell, scream, act like a child myself, feel like pulling my hair out, feel like ringing their necks (no one call child protection services, I would shut myself in my room long before this:)), ect. Being a mom is one of the most rewarding, exhausting, frustrating jobs out there. There are plenty of days where I wish I could trade my "stay-at-home" sweats in for a dress clothes and a 9-5 job. I don't get paid (not with money anyways) and there are plenty of times I feel like I must be talking to a brick wall because our two year old certainly doesn't listen to a word I say.

I will never forget a day around Eli's first birthday. My sis-in-law, Amanda, was over helping me frost some cupcakes. Eli was driving me nuts with his whinning and I said...."Eli, shut it". Probably not very nice to say to a one year old, but I guess the plus side is, he doesn't remember it. I just remember Amanda laughing and saying, "I'm so glad to see that you lose your patience with your kids too." Well let me set the record straight folks, I lose my patience plenty. I may seem like I am always so clam and collected with my kids and they just don't get under my skin. But that's not true. The older Eli gets, the more he tests my "iron-clad" patience. I still have a good amount of self-control and am very good at blocking out things that annoy me, which is probably why I always seem like my kids don't ever drive me crazy with their antics.

That being said, I love my job. More than anything. I wouldn't trade it for the world. There are days I want to escape to a foreign country, but I would always want to come right back. Because the bottom line is....no matter how much they get under my skin, I love them too much to miss out on all the love they have to give me. One smile, or one hug from them, is enough to erase some of the previous offenses they have built up. Walking into their rooms in the morning and being greeted with a big smile and total elation at seeing my face makes all those bad days worth it (ok, if I'm totally honest with myself, I really only get elation from Kamdyn anymore...Eli is much more excited about his trains, or the trains on his pillowcase, but I'll take whatever I can get). Being a mom is tough, but I am so thankful to have been given the ability and opportunity to raise these two kids.


But I just wanted you all to know, that I'm not supermom......and my kids get to me too. But they sure are cute (and so worth it!)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing and being honest. Is there such a thing as super mom? Probably not...but we are all super at being the best moms we can be. :) Love you, sis.

    ReplyDelete