Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Revelation

Something we've been talking about in bible study has really been speaking to me recently. A couple of weeks ago, our lecture was all about "receiving" our spouse (or children); truly accepting them for who they are. This is much easier said than done. It's in our nature to always try to change qualities that we don't like or don't agree with (at least it's in mine). The whole point is that we need to embrace our spouses for who they are and see them as what they really are, are perfect gift to you from God. Now I think some of this sounds kind of corny, but I understand the whole concept behind it and I've really been trying to not focus on the things that Brian does that may drive me crazy. I knew going into our marriage that he was a clutter bug, but I married him regardless because I love him, so I need to stop trying to make him a more organized person (because this will never happen:)).

This goes much further than just your spouse. It is also very true of our kids. And here we reach the true point of this post. Eli. Boy I love that kid to pieces, but he's been driving me crazy. It seems like he gets up every morning with the intent to do as much as he possibly can to drive his mommy crazy. I know this isn't the case, but it sure seems like it. He's not even two yet, but I have a feeling I'm getting a glimpse of his "terrible twos". I've yet to find an effective form of discipline for him and we just have such a back and forth power struggle. Why or why were Brian and I blessed with such a stubborn kid!(probably just a little taste of our own medicine, we are both very pig headed). When Eli was born I "received" him as a gift, but on days that he is testing me, I want to trade him in for a newer, well behaved model (or at least send him to grandmas for the afternoon). So I haven't truly "received" him as a perfect gift from God. Maybe the problem isn't with Eli, maybe it's with me. Instead of trying to change everything he does, I need to work on changing myself. I need to spend more time with him and truly enjoy him. I'm with him every day, but I don't feel like I am truly "WITH HIM" like I could be. It's amazing how much better behaved he is when I just give him some of the attention he craves. Don't get me wrong, he is very loved and gets plenty of attention, but I don't give him one on one play time like I could. So, I'm going to really work on receiving our son just the way he is (no matter how hard it might be some days!)

On a different note, Eli is beginning to be quite the talker. He now has about 4 words that he can say. He says papa, baby, sissy, and yes. Granted he won't ever do them for anyone besides Brian and I, but still, they are words. Eli definitely isn't an entertainer (especially not compared to his cousin James). I plan on trying to be sneaky one of these days with the video camera and recording him saying them. Otherwise, it could be another 6 months before you all hear him say any actual words!

I don't have any new pictures to post. We haven't really been doing anything too exciting. So for now, you will all have to be satisfied with my rambling. I promise to post some more pictures next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment